Click image to download PDF
of contest flyer (473K).
TAKING ACTION ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND ENERGY CONSERVATION:
A: Purpose: To increase awareness, stimulate creative thinking and to take positive action regarding climate change and energy conservation.
B: Theme: Take Action on Climate Change and Energy Conservation (download the poster here). — Strategies We Can Use to Become a Cleaner City, Province and Country.
C: Project: To use different forms of media to illustrate positive action taken on climate change and energy conservation.
|ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF MEDIA|
||Electronic Art (E-Art)|
|Painting(water, acrylic, oil)
|Drawing(crayons, pen and ink, pencil, markers)
||Commercial (television, radio, internet)|
For each entry, write a brief description (10 sentences maximum) of how and why your submission illustrates positive action on climate change and energy conservation.
Issues to Consider when Designing Your Submission:
- Does your submission make the audience want to do something positive to solve the climate change problem?
- The sources (transportation, agriculture, deforestation etc.), impacts (human health, species extinction, wild weather etc.) and solutions (reduce, reuse, recycle, compost etc.) of climate change and global warming.
- Suggest individual, school, community and government actions that promote to reduce climate change and conserve energy.
D: Eligibility: All Toronto, York and Durham students between grades 4 and 12 are eligible to participate.
E: Deadline: To be eligible, each submission must be post marked or received by 4:00 pm on Friday May 8th, 2009.
- All traditional art submissions must be a maximum size of 1 metre by 1 metre (for transportation purposes)
- All electronic art (video/cd etc) submissions must be a maximum of 30 minutes in length.
- Submissions can be done individually or in groups consisting of three (3) students maximum.
G: Identification: Each submission should have the following information:
- Student Name/s
- School Name and Mailing Address
- School Phone Number
- Grade and Subject
- Student ID Number
- Teacher Name and Contact
H: Originality: Each submission must be the original work of the student/s
I: Evaluation: Our panel of judges includes journalists, teachers, “green” business professionals, youth and community environmental leaders. Submissions will be evaluated under the following categories:
- Relevance — Do the submissions address the project?
- Originality — Are the submissions creative, original and dynamic?
- Composition — Are the visuals and text well organized and balanced?
- Influence — Do the submissions send a clear message regarding positive action regarding Climate Change and Energy Conservation?
- Tone — What tone do the submissions use to draw attention to certain points (humour, politics, fear, sadness etc)?
- Language — Do the submissions use correct grammar and spelling?
J: Awards Ceremony During Environment Week 2009 (May 31–June 6, 2009):
- Dozens of prizes will be given to students on Friday June 5th 2009 — World Environment Day
- Venue for Awards Ceremony: Lincoln Alexander PS, 38 Hillmount Road, Markham, ON – Tel: 905-284-4513
- Photographs of the top 10 submissions will be posted on the Friends of the Rouge Watershed website at www.frw.ca
- The top 20 winners will receive “Certificates of Environmental Excellence” and a beautiful Rouge Park poster
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
Grades 4 to 8 — Best submission for a) traditional art; b) electronic art; and c) creativity.
Grades 9 to 12 — Best submission for a) traditional art; b) electronic art; and c) creativity.
K: Send to:
- Mail: Attn: Sadhana Siva, Environmental Education Coordinator, Friends of the Rouge Watershed, 2259 Meadowvale Road, Scarbrough, ON M1X 1R2.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org — subject line should read, “Taking Action on Climate Change and Energy Conservation Multimedia Contest.”
- TDSB School Courier: Route SE, Hillside Outdoor Education School, Attn: Sadhana Siva, Friends of the Rouge Watershed.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Sadhana (Sadi) Siva at 416-208-0252 and/or email@example.com